Sunday, September 27, 2009

My Teenager

I have tons of pics to post another day but today is about my teenager. That's right I am the mother of a teenager.....seriously. I don't know how to deal with this but I'm learning as I go. I'm leaning on what I remember from my parent's raising me and my instincts. I'm also using what I know from my religion, prayers and many, many talks with my husband.

My son, Travis, turned 13 in June. For some strange reason I thought I would get a few months before all the teenage stuff starts, nope. For all you future parents of teenagers beware.....the drama starts almost immediately.

Travis has been spending a lot of time after school on facebook chatting with his friends. After hours on the computer he goes to "hang out" with his friends. Keep in mind his friends includes girls (one girl in-particular). He has gotten to the point where he doesn't like to go and do anything with his family anymore because he would prefer to be with friends. I have thought a few times that he spends too much time with his friends. I keep reminding myself that he is a good kid, he has high morals and he reports to us on a regular basis. So....I shouldn't be worried right? Wrong.

He is a good kid and there isn't much to worry about. However, there has been the occasional missed text that he forget to send or he came in a few minutes after curfew, which by the way is pretty early. Yesterday he was asked to watch the little kids for a few minutes. Well the kids pounded on my bedroom door the entire time I was in the shower. I actually got out of the shower to make sure the house wasn't burning down because it was none stop. Turns out Travis was tired and didn't want to come get them. Why was he tired? Out to late with friends. We decided despite his actions with his siblings to let him go out with friends. Well he was supposed to test us and let us know where he was going to be and he forgot. Ooops.

Consequence.....a few days without friends. If he can't help us out and show the responsibility he is asked then action must be taken. Today Travis approached me and asked what his punishment was going to be. How good to ask for his punishment!!! Anyway we ended up talking for over an hour. I LOVE this boy. He is able to talk with me and express all this thoughts, feelings and emotions. How many teenagers do that with their parents? We are very lucky. He reports to us ever time he is away, when he comes home we hear all about what he did while he was gone. I love that. I hope it never changes. I do, however, hate the part where his feelings are hurt or his heart is broken.

I guess the whole point of this post is to express the love I have for Travis. He is my step-son by birth and/or marriage but to me he is MY SON just like McKinley and Ty are my kids. He lives with me, he talks with me, he reports to me, he respects me and he is sealed for time and all eternity to ME! I am thankful every day to have him in my life and to share the love that we do. I feel blessed not only to be his Mom but to have the closeness that we share. I love to talk to him and cry with him. He is the best!

After a few days the punishment will be over and all will be back to normal. I just pray that he will continue to be a good kid and talk to me as openly as always. I love you Travis. I know punishment sucks. I just want the best for you now and always.

6 comments:

Amberdawn said...

He seems like such a good kid. I dread the time when my boys are teenagers. Maybe I'll get lucky like you!

Ariane said...

Oh, you're such a good mommy, Suzanne! Travis is so lucky! I'm really not looking forward to the teenage years, especially with a girl to break me in....

Cyndi said...

way to go Suz. You're doing great. I'm glad that you were able to have a good heart to heart talk with him. Sometimes that's the key to understanding for both people involved! And I agree. Travis is the best teenager ever!

Megan said...

I can only hope for a teen like Travis. He is such a great kid, and great kids come from great parents. You should be proud of him!

Valerie and Garrett said...

We love Travis, too! Can't believe how grown up he is all of the sudden...I want him to be 11 again and in our scout group! I hope I can be a great mom like you, Suzanne! You and your family are so wonderful!

Lynnette said...

You are such a good mom Suzanne! I've watched Travis grow and change, even open up so much in the last 5 or 6 years that you've been in his life. He's lucky to have such awesome parents!