Thursday, May 13, 2010

Toddlers & Teenagers

My recommendation to anyone who can avoid it.....DO NOT have toddlers and teenagers at the same time!

So let's get started with the stories. First McKinley, not much to say about her. Right now she is actually the good kid. Just a few strong opinions and temper tantrums here and there.

Ty. Where to start. Let's just say he is 2. He has all the sudden decided he is a BIG BOY. He no longer likes to sleep in his crib. He prefers Kinley's big bed. He doesn't want to sit in his booster seat at the table, so it has been replaced with a folding chair. He is also thinking he wants big cups all the time instead of sippy cups. This is all a little annoying but it's just him growing up the real problem is with his diapers.

Ty likes to remove his clothing and diapers ALL THE TIME. I have washed clothes and/or bedding every day for over a week now. I have put him in onesies thinking that might make it harder for him to get his diaper off. Oh no. He can still manage. A few days ago he woke up from his nap with his onesie still snapped but his diaper removed. Seriously! How? So I washed clothes and bedding. Yesterday he woke up with his onesie still on and his diaper on but his clothes were wet. Upon examination I determined he had "played" with himself and didn't get things tucked back into the diaper. OH MY GOSH!!! Yet again. Wash time. So is it time for potty training? You tell me.

Now on to the teenager.....Travis. Okay I admit I have NO IDEA what I'm doing here. Any advice is welcome. I have counted it up and in the last 9 months or so Trav has been grounded 4 times for issues related to this one girl. We are to the point that we don't know what to do anymore. Obviously grounding is not working. He keeps breaking our simple rules: tell us where you are, who you are with, and never be alone with this girl (or any other girl).

A few days ago we got a visit from this girl's Father informing us that our kids were caught "making out" near her house. What the hell! He is only 13. We had rules to avoid this kind of thing. Now what do we do? Seriously I don't know but I know that I am very frustrated. He is only 13. He is breaking rules. He is losing our trust. Normally he is a really good kid! So I can't decide if this is a trial for Travis or for Jeremy and I.

7 comments:

Ariane said...

Hopefully I'm done having kids by the time Jordan is a teenager lol.
As far as Ty goes, I would definitely potty train him but that's just me. When my kids start taking off there diaper I take it away.
And I wish I had some suggestions about Travis but sorry, haven't been there yet :)
Maybe taking away privileges instead? Or maybe more chores?

Unknown said...

As a wise experienced senior and teenager I think you may like my advice. :) Travis seems like a spiritual kid so he may benifit from April's New Era because it is soley about dating and kissing. Also, If you feel like, you could also limit contact with her.
I am sorry us teenagers are so scandelous. :) If you need any other wise teenager advice, let me know!

Mandi @ Vintage Revivals said...

Oh the stress! I am so sorry about the stuff the that is going on with Trav. The only advice that I can give is remember what it was like when you were 13. Hormones are going crazy in this kid right now. The most important thing that you can do is not severe the connection that you have with him. He is gone at school, activities, etc. all day and he is going to do what he is going to do and these are the choices that only TRAVIS can make. You guys are doing a good job raising him you need to counsel with him and share experiences that you have had in this situation, maybe have someone that he really looks up to talk to him about it. He needs to know WHY you think its wrong, not just that it is cause you said so. This is how I am anticipating talking to my kids about it, which is the opposite of the way that my parents did. Love you!

Cheryl said...

Remember unconditional love. It is OK to not like the action, but the love needs to continue. Let Travas know that. One thing, I have learned is that our children can sure put us in tough situations, but discuss the situation calmly, rationally with a prayer in your heart that Heavenly Father will guide you. Be consistent in your rules and the consequences. I agree with what Mandi said as well, the hormones are rushing out of control right now. The other thing I would mention, and I am sure you all know this, is deal with the situation head-on and don't dwell on it, don't bring it up everytime something wrong happens. I love all you guys and send my prayers your way.

Jeremy Reynolds Family said...

You are all wonderful!! Thank you.

Hopie said...

You are a wonderful mom and Jeremy is a wonderful dad. Just take one day at a time. I love you!!!!

Heather said...

Maybe tell him he can see her, as long as they are at your house with other kids around? Make sure there's tons of snacks and games to play...I don't know!
Maybe a FHE on the Strength of Youth pamphlet with a special emphasis on dating...
My prayers go out to you!!